Psoriasis is a skin condition that is triggered by a genetic disorder which makes the skin replace its cells in a rapid manner. As the skin in certain areas of the body is in a constant state of renewal, the psoriasis condition is often a long term ailment that one has to live with. There are many medications that are prescribed to control the symptoms but the ailment can be remedied or reduced to a large extent by controlling one’s diet and making certain lifestyle changes. When one makes such changes naturally, the immunity system is bolstered and the extent of the disorder is reduced largely.
- The number one tip to take care of is to moisturize the skin. If you wish to look after your affected skin, you need to ensure that the skin is moist and not dry. Dryness will aggravate the condition.
- Avoid scratching. Psoriasis leads to persistent scratching and itching sensation. To avoid itching and making the skin worse, one should use aloe vera and other kinds of natural moisturizers.
- One could try to apply aloe vera gel over the affected areas and apply a plastic wrap or a bandage over the area. This will protect the skin from further irritation and will help it to heal.
- Bathing with the right water and temperature is necessary. One needs to use lukewarm water as too hot or too cold will be harsh on the skin. One should pat oneself dry and apply moisturizer after bath.
- Salt and oil added to the bathing water will help to heal and moisturize the skin.
- One needs to be consistent in the application of the ointment that one is using. Whichever topical therapy is being followed, one needs to be consistent in using it.
- The ultraviolet rays of the sun are good for skin with psoriasis but too much sunlight might burn the skin. Again, one should not put ointment and venture out in the sun as that might aggravate the skin condition.
- One needs to quit smoking as it makes the skin condition worse.
- Drinking should be avoided or done in moderation.
- Diet should be such that white flour, gluten, caffeine, sugar in excess need to be avoided.
- Mental health has to be ensured as many people suffer from depression due to social isolation.
Thus, it is necessary that one stays positive and tries out the natural methods mentioned above to gain long term relief from their skin condition.